Friday, February 13, 2015

Netflix won, and I guess Jack Ryan

For months Netflix has been trying to get me to watch Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. I finally caved, and I can honestly say I was not disappointed. I also didn't know that Kenneth Branagh was the director, let alone the fact that he was the director of Thor.

This is a solid movie. Chris Pine is a very convincing Jack Ryan. That isn't an empty statement. Chris Pine had to compete against Alec Baldwin in The Hunt for Red October, and Harrison Ford in Patriots Games and Clear and Present Danger, oh and I guess Ben Affleck in Sum of All Fears, but he wasn't much competition. In fact, if you like spy movies you will love this movie.

I will say that the characters are not terribly compelling. Keira Knightley is a bit forgettable as Jack Ryan's wife. Kevin Costner is actually pretty good as Jack Ryan's boss. Listen, what do you want from me? This is a decent Saturday afternoon movie. Just watch it.

7/10, but like an 8 7 not a 7 7. That makes no sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment