Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Lonely and Secret World

I re-watched The Good Shepherd and I must say that it is far darker than I remember. I can't help but feeling quite sorry for Edward. The life that he eventually lives can't be what the budding young poet had in mind. There really is nothing happy about the movie. The movie is not only dark from a thematic standpoint, but it is also just dark in general.

I remember the first time I watched the movie I was enthralled with the story it told about the CIA. This time around I was much more interested in the story of Edward. The movie is in part about the CIA, but really it is about the rise of, and compromising of, Matt Damon's character. He dutifully does as he is asked throughout the movie, but then he goes and has his dalliances throughout the film. He is a very flawed character, but I found him a very compelling character. He is obviously pained as he goes through his life, but he rarely shows it on his face.

The movie did a good job of pacing that I don't recall from my first viewing. It is a long movie, but it does cover a lot of ground. The story it tells, if you are a fan of Cold War history, is one that will keep you connected to the film. The supporting cast is excellent, although I thought Angelina Jolie's character was a little off. I think they should have cast someone a little less va voom, and a little more conservative.

This is Robert De Niro's film (he directed it) because his character takes the cake. His lines are full of gems about the nature of the CIA. Although he was obviously a bigot, he was the only character who showed concern for the agencies place in American society. The movie ends with Lee Pace's character Richard Haye's calling Damon the "heart and soul" of the agency. That was almost exactly what De Niro advised a young Edward against happening.

I should mention something about Edward's son. The dynamic between the two is fairly straightforward: Edward, the distant father; Edward, Jr., the starving for approval son. What is interesting to me is that Edward does sacrifice his son's happiness because of his commitment to a higher duty than his family. Yet another tragic layer to an already tragic figure.

Good movie. A bit confusing at times, but I would watch it again for sure.

7/10, already own it, gonna watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment